[Dragonboard410c] Ubuntu OS Build Issues, and Support

Sunny Bhayani sunny.bhayani at einfochips.com
Fri Feb 17 10:06:48 UTC 2017

Hi Ogra,

Thank you for your reply.

> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2017, 10:16 +0000 schrieb Sunny Bhayani:
> >
> > We are able to make our Wifi work by doing insmod wcn36xx.ko, and
> > doing the
> > echo start > /sys/kernel/debug/remoteproc/remoteproc2/state.
> >
> > We have a question regarding the above step. In the Dragonboard
> > prebuilt rootfs,
> > there are scripts which actually inserts the Wifi module during boot.
> > Those
> > scripts are located at /lib/systemd/system/wcnss-start.service.
> >
> > These scripts actually start the wifi interface.
> >
> > But in our case, we have to manually do this. So how can we add new
> > scripts to
> > the RootFS in our case as compared to the prebuilt Dragonboard binary
> > ?
> >
> you should not need to do that, we definitely do not have such scripts
> in our official images:
>
> ogra at dragonboard:~$ ls /lib/systemd/system/wcnss-start.service
> ls: cannot access '/lib/systemd/system/wcnss-start.service': No such
> file or directory
>
> the module should be auto-loaded during boot (this happens surely for
> us with the default ubuntu core images). there must be something wrong
> with your setup ...
> here is a boot log from a default ubuntu core dragonboard image http://
> paste.ubuntu.com/24006524/ there wcn36xx just gets auto-loaded, perhaps
> you miss a kernel configuration ?

Sorry for the wrong information. The above scripts are present in the Linaro
(Debian) release of Dragonboard.

You are correct that in the prebuilt image (Ubuntu OS) for Dragonboard, the Wifi
module is auto-loaded during boot. But in our case, this does not happen.

So can you please let us know, that in what part (plugin) of the snapcraft.yaml
do we need to mention the kernel modules that needs to be auto-loaded during the
kernel boot.

We tried to add the kernel module in the snapcraft.yaml as below:

  kernel-initrd-modules:
             - squashfs
             - wcn36xx

This did not auto-insert / auto-load the Wifi module during the first boot.

Also, we went through the kernel-initrd-modules description:
https://snapcraft.io/docs/reference/plugins/kernel

and there it is mentioned that the "kernel-initrd-modules" plugin is used to
mention the modules required to mount the rootfs.

So can you please help us out for the same.

Also, if we want to add any scripts to the rootfs while building / compiling the
Ubuntu OS Image, is there a way in which we can do that ?

> > One more observation is, that due to the above scripts present in the
> > prebuilt
> > Dragonboard binary, during the first boot console config, we get to
> > configure
> > the wifi interface along with the eth0 interface, which is also
> > missing in our
> > case.

It would be great if you can please help us out on this front as well for the
snap list / snap install for the Ubuntu OS.

> there is no ethernet device on a dragonboard, do you use an addon board
> ?

Yes. We are using a USB to Ethernet module on dragonboard to use the Ethernet.

While using the prebuilt image for Dragonboard, we are able to configure the
access point for Wifi interface in the first boot screen, but then while doing
ssh to the board, it is asking for password (during first boot). How can we
resolve this ?

Thanks,
Sunny

************************************************************************************************************************************************************* eInfochips Business Disclaimer: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Company has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. *************************************************************************************************************************************************************