ANN: llgo classic snap

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Tue Feb 14 01:59:37 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

A while ago I snapped llgo, the Go frontend for LLVM. At the time, classic
snaps were not a thing, and so the snap had limited functionality. I've
updated it to use classic confinement, so you can use the compiler
toolchain as you would normally.

$ sudo snap install --classic llgo
$ llgo version
go version go1.5.1 llgo version 5.0.0 (go1.4.2) linux/amd64
$ llgo run ...

The llgo interpreter is still available, but as it is part of the same snap
it is no longer confined:

$ llgo.llgoi
(llgo) import "fmt"
(llgo) fmt.Println("hello, world")
hello, world
13
<nil>

I have also exposed the llgo compiler as "llgo.compiler", so you can
generate LLVM IR, for example:

$ llgo.compiler -emit-llvm -S -o - main.go
; ModuleID = 'main'
source_filename = "main"
target datalayout ...

Cheers,