Package too old for cleanbuild

XiaoGuo Liu xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com
Mon Feb 13 02:56:05 UTC 2017

Will the new release address the issue at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/+bug/1662464? Currently, I am using
ogra's packageproxy, and it works perfectly.  I created a blog at
http://blog.csdn.net/ubuntutouch/article/details/54405477

However, nodejs is not a debian package. Instead, it downloads every time
after the project is cleaned and rebuilt. This is a really a bad developer
experience. Last time, when I had a hackathon event, it was almost
impossible for a developer to develop a nodejs at the site since the
download took years to get it finished due to the network limitation or
other reasons. Even now at home, sometimes it takes quite a while to
download the nodejs package. I need to try different combination of VPN. It
is really troublesome for me.

Best regards,
XiaoGuo

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Michi Henning <michi.henning at canonical.com
> wrote:

> > While I don't disagree with the suggestions here, if I may suggest a
> > workaround:
> >
> > If you find yourself using cleanbuild a lot (it makes a new ephemeral
> > container, builds, then destroys the container), you might find some
> > workflow improvements by simply developing the snap in a container. You
> > can even bind-mount the source from the host, if you want. This is the
> > workflow I use personally. It allows for one to fully customize the apt
> > sources while also utilizing Snapcraft's built-in stage package cache*,
> > and it doesn't clutter the development environment on the host.
>
> Thanks Kyle!
>
> While this works, I don’t think it meets the pragmatic needs of the
> developer. It’s already complex enough to learn a new tool chain and figure
> out an effective edit/debug/test cycle. If I have to set up my own
> container for this, I end up adding yet more variables and possible sources
> of errors.
>
> We really need the tool to take care of this, otherwise everyone goes
> through the same pain (and mistakes) over and over. The big bottleneck here
> is the endless re-downloading of all the packages. If snapcraft could take
> care of this transparently and use a cache, things would proceed at a
> tolerable pace, without everyone having to re-invent their own wheel.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michi.

XiaoGuo, Liu