connecting a non-auto interface, automatically

Olivier Tilloy olivier.tilloy at canonical.com
Wed Feb 8 16:37:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Simon Fels <simon.fels at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 07.02.2017 15:36, knitzsche wrote:
>> What is the approach to connect interfaces that are not auto-connecting
>> without user intervention?
>>
>> That is, there's a snap (built into an image) that declares the
>> log-observe plug. Log-observe interface does not auto-connect [1]. In
>> this product, the user does not have a console, so they cannot connect
>> the snap plug/interface.
>>
>> So, how does one configure the system to connect sthis? Via the gadget
>> snap prepare-device hook script perhaps?
>
> You can ask at the store level to get a snap-declaration for the snap
> which allows auto-connection of particular plugs just for your snap.

Where can this be requested?

I’m thinking that this might be useful for the 0ad snap that needs the
process-control interface. Without it, the game won’t run.

Alternatively, is there a common practice for detecting that a
required interface isn't connected and displaying a useful error
message to the user?

Thanks,

 Olivier