MMAL/RPI libraries needed for snappy

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Tue Feb 7 07:33:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure this is the root cause, but:

I am trying to compile a version of ffmpeg on snappy (building a snap), that will take advantage of the raspberry pi accelerated h264 decode/encoding.

While doing this, I get MMAL not found by ffmpeg. This leads me to believe that MMAL is not present in snappy to compile against - this works perfectly on raspian.

I can't find any deb package in apt that fixes this. So I think the root cause is that ubuntu core for RPI is not distributed the MMAL dev environment the same way that raspian is, and either I'm unaware/unable to find where to get those, or that they don't exist. On raspian they live under /opt/vc.

Anyone know if I'm just missing something or if this is a "bug" in ubuntu core on rpi?

Cheers,
Anton