Snapping Qt 5.7 APPs

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:17:00 UTC 2016

> I'm resurrecting this thread because a dev from QGIS is asking about qt5.7:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3545#issuecomment-250636922
>
> I think this should be a part in the wiki, not a plugin. But I don't know
> enough Qt to do it myself. Any chance somebody wants to publish a qt5.7
> part? ^_^

There's qt-ubuntu in edge channel (although 5.6 to match current
Ubuntu version) and content interface is defined there, but that
wouldn't work for other users' snaps currently. I haven't even figured
out yet how it should work for my own apps that have plugs: qt-ubuntu:
target: / defined. Then my idea for the next step would be defining
the desktop/ubuntu-qt part that uses the content interface and
provides the usual launcher helpers.

Anyway, these are long term plans with me (and the content interface)
taking just my first snappy steps, so maybe as-is upstream Qt 5.7.0
(instead of including Ubuntu's patches and UI Toolkit) could be
offered as a buildable part in shorter term?

I'll try out something based on https://github.com/tjyrinki/qt-ubuntu
next week but that may fail spectacularly given the Qt building there
is not doing it right currently. Commit proposals welcome, for example
to correctly fully use the previously built part when building the
next one, now it's still using system ones which wouldn't work anymore
for 5.7.

-Timo