Updated Ubuntu Core 16 beta images available

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 26 17:27:23 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-09-26 at 18:12 +0100, John McAleely wrote:

> On 19 September 2016 at 16:21, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at canonical.c
> om> wrote:
> > Ubuntu Core 16 Images
> > =====================
> >
> > The Ubuntu snappy team is happy to announce new beta images for
> > Ubuntu
> > Core 16.  The images use the snapd package manager to install and
> > update all components of the system including kernel, core, gadget
> > and
> > applications.
> >
> > Some hightlights for this release:
> > - a preview of snapweb is installed by default, snapweb is a web-ui
> >   control an all-snap system
> > - pi3 image available
> > - smaller image size to fit better on sd-cards
> > - bugfixes
> >
> > The images are available for PC (amd64, i386) and Raspberry Pi2/3
> > (armhf) and the Dragonboard 410. You can download them at:
> >

> On the Pi2 image (the only one I've examined so far), should I expect
> to find libGLESv2.so, or some other evidence of OpenGL ES API
> support?
>
> I had heard that was expected.
>
> from the login shell:
>
> $ ls /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLES*
> <no output>
>
> Am I missing something?

nope ... you dont ... the libs need to be shipped by the kernel snap
but the new kernel snap definition does not allow anything beyond the
default kernel bits (modules, firmware, dtbs) yet... so currently we
can not ship any GLES on armhf til this is implemented.

i think kevin found a way to ship GLES in his mir snap though, perhaps
that could be a fallback for the moment ?

ciao
	oli