Access to other commands

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 8 01:31:36 UTC 2016

On 07/09/16 12:32, Matthew Williams wrote:
> I have a few applications I'm looking to snap, but quite a lot of them
> shell out to other commands at some point and it's not always
> practical to include these with my snap, one concrete example is
> shelling out to /usr/bin/sensible-browser.

Something like sensible-browser is probably an interface we should have.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there some way I can be specifying a list of commands my snapped
> app is allowed to call?

You could. But I think there is a class of things that should be allowed
to integrate with the classic shell environment, which means they can
shell out to lots of things.

> 2) Should I really be trying to bundle these commands into my snap?

Only if it is a tight and bounded set.

> Bonus question: Does the fact that I'm asking this question mean there
> is something fundamental about snaps that I'm not grokking?

No, we are teasing around the edges of this problem, and your comments
are a useful extra data point. Thank you!

Mark