"path must be relative" in filesets is holdover convention from debian packaging, causes grief

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Oct 25 06:46:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Didier Roche <didrocks at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> You have the parts/<partname>/install directory, which is your target
> for your parts installation. All files are there (and DESTDIR is set to
> there). It sounds then normal to not rely on absolute path, but only
> relative one to reference those, and not $ANYFILE_FROM_YOUR_HOST_SYSTEM,
> doesn't it?

Yes.  I'm asking for syntactic sugar.  Please ignore the leading slash
rather than throwing an error.  This will make life easier for users
generating snapcraft.yaml, who otherwise have to script removing that slash.

> Maybe that's my twisted debian packager mindset, but do you mind
> providing a real example? If an upstream project ignores DESTDIR and
> install directly on system path, this is quite ackward and should be
> fixed in other way.

I'm not talking about supporting that.  I'm talking about doing
everything right *except* for not having to strip the leading
slash off those paths.

Another way of looking at is is, the path should be evaluated
in the confined context rather than the outer context.
Does that make more sense?

Grouchily yours,
random user tired of doing sed -e 's,^/,,' all over the place.