Ubuntu Touch Apps as Snaps

Bill Filler bill.filler at canonical.com
Wed Oct 5 21:59:52 UTC 2016

The System Apps team at Canonical has been busy transitioning Ubuntu Touch
apps and services into Snaps and interfaces for Ubuntu Personal. Progress
has been great! We have an initial batch of apps in the Snap store for
testing (devmode only) and a bunch more on the way. The snaps function on
both Unity7 and Unity8 classic desktop sessions in xenial + overlay ppa (
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/23251156/) and in yakkety.

You can try the following Snaps today from the "edge" channel of the store:
*gallery-app, camera-app, address-book-app *and* ubuntu-calendar-app* with
the following command:

*sudo snap install --edge --force-dangerous --devmode <SnapName>*

Shortly, we'll have webbrowser-app, ubuntu-system-settings, ubuntu-keyboard
and ubuntu-terminal-app in the store ready to try as well. As this is early
stage, there are some know issues, tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=snap-desktop-issue

On the interface front we are chipping away at defining and implementing
Snapd interfaces that will be necessary for the apps to run confined. We
have working local builds of the following interfaces:
thumbnailer service (
https://github.com/fkaleo/snapd/tree/add-thumbnailer-interface)
address book service and eds (
https://github.com/renatofilho/snapd/tree/eds-calendar)

Work is in progress on content-hub and input-method interfaces as well,
we'll keep you posted when we have something to show!

Some screenshots are included on these G+ posts:
https://plus.google.com/104895622476458942837/posts/ePiffsBMsTB
https://plus.google.com/104895622476458942837/posts/AQ6WVDFooHp

Cheers,
Bill