ANN: WaveFunctionCollapse (wfc-cmars)

Casey Marshall casey.marshall at canonical.com
Mon Oct 3 17:30:01 UTC 2016

Last week I discovered WaveFunctionCollapse[1] via Hacker News. It
generates bitmap images that are locally similar to a sample image you give
it. Looks really useful to generate maps for roguelikes, or algorithmic art.

I wanted to play with it, but ran into a couple of blockers: it's C#, and
it didn't really have a CLI. I was able to get it running under Mono, but
found operation via XML file cumbersome, so I added command-line options
and made it into a snap, so you can just:

snap install wfc-cmars

to try it out!

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, I'd recommend
checking the README, as well as the parameters in samples.xml before
tinkering, to better understand the knobs and switches. For best results,
small tiles with a low number of colors work best -- otherwise it can be
very computationally intensive. Check out the samples in the project,
you'll see what I mean.

-Casey

[1] https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse