Snaps to invoke external processes

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Nov 25 17:09:41 UTC 2016

The role of xdg-open itself is already to open the URL with whatever
tooling is available, so it sounds like we're making the issue more complex
than it ought to be.

I think we should reimplement xdg-open in terms of snapctl, and have snapd
itself doing the hand-over to the local xdg-open tool after some basic
sanity checking on the URL. That way we're not really asking for anything
from the local system (no dbus service) while remaining completely portable.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net