Qt 5.7 cloud part now available

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:11:21 UTC 2016

Qt 5.8 was easy enough to add so that's now also available with after:
[qt58]. Note that Qt 5.8 is still under active development. The next
planned step for these upstream Qt cloud parts would be offering
prebuilt binaries to cut down the awful build times. Of course if
you're compiling your app snaps in Launchpad you wouldn't notice that
much, but it's still very much a wanted feature.

In other news since people are curious, there is also a shared runtime
of Qt 5.6.1 + Ubuntu libraries like UI Toolkit to be used by apps for
space savings in certain use cases like devices with space
constraints, currently called "ubuntu-qt-runtime" (name TBD). I have
enough testers already so I don't recommend reaching out for it yet :)
But if you are curious, it is installable from
https://code.launchpad.net/~timo-jyrinki/+snap/ubuntu-qt-runtime/+build/8971
and it works by cutting eg a test application's size from 100MB to
10MB. The current idea is that it would be primarily be used via a
cloud part helper to be created.

-Timo