snap list/find output

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed May 25 22:45:39 UTC 2016

Yes, we discussed this online today and one way to do this is precisely to
go with what John suggests and shorten the version numbers that are
unreasonable. That becomes a strong encouragement for them to remain short
enough to be readable without additional commands.

The only detail here is that we should be careful about how we shorten the
versions. For example, assuming

    1.23.45.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13

We should shorten it as something along the lines of

    1.23.45...12.13

Instead of, say,

    1.23.4(...)2.13

or

    1.23.45.6.7...

(actual lengths TBD)

Of course, there's always the chance that one decides to use a version that
cannot be reasonably broken down like this, but then it sounds okay that
they don't read as nicely either.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net