Man-pages in snaps

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 8 07:12:08 UTC 2016

Le 07/06/2016 14:49, Sujeevan (svij) Vijayakumaran a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I started creating a snap for the CLI task manager taskwarrior
> (https://taskwarrior.org/). This project has really good man pages.
> Anyway there is currently no support to access man-pages from snaps:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1575593
>
> Since it doesn't make much sense to publish an CLI app without the good
> man pages: Is there any other ways to make it possible that the user can
> access the man pages of a snap? The tools "task help" command doesnt
> help here since is doesn’t show everything.

Hey Sujeevan,

The desktop team indeed opened this bug, and I'm sure the snappy team
will respond to it quickly.
For now, you can't really workaround that (well, telling people to man
/snaps/snap_name/current/… isn't an option ;))

However, thinking about this, you may be able to add a "man" command in
between (so that autocompletion show it) in your snapcraft.yaml, which
is executing "man /snaps/snap_name/current/…" as a workaround.
That way you will have (if your snap_name matches your command name):

$ taskwarrior
$ taskwarrior.man

Does this fit the bill until we get proper manpage support in snapd?

Cheers,
Didier