Snapcraft as post-build operation?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 19:35:54 UTC 2016

On 08/06/16 04:30, Adam wrote:
> Am I trying to put a square peg in a round hole? If what I am doing
> seems feasible, where do I start? Can I setup the yaml file to just cp
> files over from my output directory and then build up the contents of
> my snap that way?

Yes, you can definitely do that.

The simplest way to think of a snap is as a directory with ALL your app
files and dependencies underneath it.

There's also a set of directories you can write to.

The rest of the system is read-only to your app, so the most tricky
piece will be teaching your app only to write where it is allowed to
write, and to look for dependencies underneath its own directory.
Snapcraft does its best to juggle things for apps following common
conventions so that all of this magically happens without changing the
source code, but it does have its limits particularly for ornery
in-house codebases.

We have always managed to *make* a snap under your circumstances, it
just sometimes requires a little twisting of the bits.

Is that enough guidance for you to get started?

Mark