“Directory '.' is not installable. File 'setup.py' not found.” when trying to build a snap

Pierre Equoy pierre.equoy at canonical.com
Wed Jun 1 07:52:44 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I've been discussing with the author of Rapid Photo Downloader [1] to get a
snap of it. I believe it is a good candidate because it's a Python3 app
that uses some libraries that are not packaged in Debian (python-gphoto2),
thus making it pretty hard to package in the traditional way (PPA...).

I currently uses the following snapcraft.yaml [2] but I'm running into this
issue when trying to build it:

python3 /tmp/rapid/parts/python-gphoto2/install/usr/bin/pip3 install
--target /tmp/rapid/parts/python-gphoto2/install/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages
.
Directory '.' is not installable. File 'setup.py' not found.

(full log here [3])

I'm using snapcraft 2.9 on Xenial.
Any idea where to look at?

Thanks!