Getting QT apps running.

Kyle Fazzari kyle.fazzari at canonical.com
Thu Jul 28 18:21:36 UTC 2016

On 07/28/2016 11:05 AM, Dietmar Winkler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when trying to run this "ipe" qt app I got the error message:
> $ ipe
> This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
> Qt platform plugin "xcb".
>
> I found out that I need to include the libqt5gui5 package as stage
> package (just like in the hello-world-desktop example, But even though
> I added it to my yaml file I still get the same error message.
>
> https://github.com/dietmarw/snaps/blob/master/ipe/snapcraft.yaml#L44
> (I'm actually not sure if I really need the "after: [qt5conf]" part.)
>
> So what else am I missing?

The problem is that your application isn't looking in the right place
for the platform plugins. That's where the qt5conf part comes in handy--
it includes a launcher script to set that environment for you.

You need to use the launcher from the qt5conf part in order to launch
the app.

apps:
  ipe:
    command: bin/ipe