resident package database update

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 12 12:41:15 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2016, 15:31 +0300 schrieb Mihamina
RAKOTOMANDIMBY:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 14:02:51 +0200
> Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > > Snap can install packages on several distribution:
> > > - When installing on Debian (+derivatives) is the dpkg database
> > > updated?
> > > - When installing on RedHat/OpenSuse (+derivatives) is the rpm
> > > database updated?
> > >
> > > Is there a plan for that or is it just no go?
> > what would you expect there to be added ?
> > (they are widely different package formats (and concepts) each
> > using
> > their own DB and meta data)
> I just expect integration to the existing system.
>
> If a package is added via Snap I find it fair to be added to the
> existing package database.
>
> Yes it would cover a wide basis, but it makes sense to me. Doesn't
> it?

snaps are not like debs or rpms, you can have a ton of different
binaries and libs inside ... and these binaries and libs might not even
be named like the content of the rpm/deb ... how would you translate
that into a rpm/deb db entry ?

snaps can also be built from debs/rpms or upstream git trees tarballs
or whatever else upstream source exists, if my snap ships libfoo,
libfoo can not be seen from the normal system (only the binary using
libfoo inside teh snap can see it), and libfoo could be the last git
trunk version vs some stable release the distro provides.

you can surely have the interconnection between package db's on a very
high level (like we do in gnome-software in ubuntu for example), but i
doubt it makes much sense to mix up packaging systems that are
conceptual so extremely different.

ciao
	oli