Is there a German howto/documentation for snapcraft?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 12 02:29:00 UTC 2016

On 11/07/16 17:56, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I guess I confused stage-packages [1] with build-packages, anyway, were
> do I need to add the build-packages?

The difference between these is "what do you need installed on the build
system" and "what do you want inserted into the snap"? For example, if
you install headers on the system when building the app, these allow you
to compile the app that's going into the snap. Since you don't want them
in the snap itself, you put them in build-packages not stage-packages.
That way they are installed on the build system ("apt-get foo") but not
pushed into the snap itself after the app is built.

> Is there a way to depend on JACK1 or JACK2 outside of the snap? IOW to
> use the snap with JACK of the regular Ubuntu install?

Connections between the snap and the host Linux need to be described by
a plug/slot/interface.

I know there are audio-related interfaces (MPRIS was in snapd 2.0.10)
but I don't think there is a JACK specific one. If you are feeling
adventurous, you may want to look at the snapd code for the pulse audio
interfaces and cargo-cult that into a patch for JACK support.

In short, you'll have a little bit of yaml in your snap.yaml that says
to snapd "this snap uses JACK", and when snapd sees that it will open up
the pathways for your snap to talk to JACK when installed.

Mark