Problems creating snap package for KStars

Pawel Stolowski pawel.stolowski at canonical.com
Mon Jul 4 09:24:30 UTC 2016

Hi Didier,
>> Thus far, I ran into the follow issues:
>>
>> 1. Cannot read from usr/share/indi. It keeps referring to $SNAP_DATA
>> and $SNAP_USER_DATA but INDI is a 3rd party program that installs its
>> data files to /usr/share/data, so how do I deal with that exactly?
>> Where is $SNAP_DATA located with respect the root FS?
> Most of the apps have either some runtime env variable or some package
> build configuration (like --prefix or --datadir). One of the issue we
> are discussing with upstream is that there is nothing that ensure you
> those paths will stay the same. Gustavo (CCed here) mentioned maybe some
> declarative open() redirection in libc would be in order.

That's a very interesting point and something I've asked myself too
while battling with similar issues (which I still haven't solved; the
app I'm working on uses hardcoded /usr/share/... paths too; if only
patching was streamlined in snapcraft, that would at least help in some
cases).
I think it's not just open(), but access(), *stat(), opendir()... And I
think it will get tricky. And then it only helps with apps using libc
(ok, probably a majority is libc-based). Isn't this something that
chroot() solves (which of course affects all the plugs etc)?

Cheers,
Pawel