Ubuntu core update corresponding to Zesty?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 19 08:13:26 UTC 2016

On 16/12/16 10:04, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I need a newer gstreamer than is shipped in Ubuntu Core 16
> (gst-omx doesn't build against 1.8, but does against 1.10).
> I can build the whole gstreamer stack from source, but going forward
> would like to avoid that.
>
> Is there a Ubuntu Core daily somewhere corresponding to Zesty?
> Or when Zesty's alpha 1 comes out, will there a corresponding Ubuntu
> Core alpha build?

For long-term support I think 'core' will be aligned with the LTS
releases only.

For code like gstreamer I think it is plausible that there be a runtime
snap (see the experimental gnome runtime and similar efforts in the KDE
community) which is annual or more frequent than that.

However, given the move to delta updates I would suggest for the moment
that you simply bundle the libraries you need with your snap. This gives
you certainty in the short term, and the option to move to shared code
once the maintenance regime for that shared code is stable enough for
your purposes.

Mark