Announcing Snaplint

Julia Palandri julia.palandri at canonical.com
Fri Dec 9 09:33:46 UTC 2016

[totally not related with the original post, but I thought I should...]

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Spencer Parkin <spencertparkin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ha!  :)  Yeah, I guess it would, though I have no idea what dogfooding run
> means.
>
> GPL purports to be free, but it's not.  If a piece of software was free,
> you could encorporate it into your own software that you need to be
> proprietary.  So many times I find something I think is great and I want to
> use it but...oh...crap...it's GPL; can't use it.  In other words, GPL is a
> pain for in-house development, and it's an infectious license that spreads
> from one GPL project to another.  If I want to use GPL software, I have to
> use the GPL license, if my understanding is correct.

GPL is built that way *by design*. It protects freedom of users, not of
software. Developers who don't mind you taking their software and
distributing it along with proprietary chunks can choose LGPL as their
license. And, as Seth mentioned, licenses are useful when *distributing*
software: it's a granted permission the developer gives you without the
need that every person who wants to use their software go ask them what
they can do with it.
Rather than a talk with lawyers (or in addition) I feel inclined to suggest
some reading on fsf.org, for example :)
I understand GPL can be a pain sometimes, but I'm very happy it exists
because I still get the right to read, modify and distribute that software.
It might not suit your needs, but I wouldn't call it a fatal error at all :)

(EOR)

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Scott Sweeny <scott.sweeny at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That would make for an interesting dogfooding run since the tool
>> itself is GPL-3 :-)
>>
>> ~S
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 07:42:36PM -0700, Spencer wrote:
>> > Uh...but if I use your tool, then I can't claim ignorance when I'm
>> getting sued for copyright violations.
>> >
>> > Seriously, though, I hate all the legal crap licensing causes in the
>> development world.  Your tool could make life a lot easier in that regard,
>> which is nice.
>> >
>> > BTW, the GPL is the worst license ever.  Your lint tool should flag its
>> use as a fatal error.

>> I've

>> directory

Julia