Cannot install snap apps from store

XiaoGuo Liu xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com
Fri Dec 9 07:54:00 UTC 2016

Yes, at one time, it was consistent that it did not work at all no matter
how many times I tried, and it was quite embarrassing during a training
session. I thought it was network problem. After some time, it became OK.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Manik Taneja <manik.taneja at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 11:13 PM, Michael Nelson <michael.nelson at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Manik Taneja <manik.taneja at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 8, 2016, at 8:21 PM, Oliver Ries <oliver.ries at canonical.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM, XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not know how many of you have met the issue. When I try to install
>> an app from the store, it comes me an error like:
>>
>> liuxg at ubuntu:~$ sudo snap install tensorflow-demo --devmode --beta
>> error: cannot install "tensorflow-demo": Get https://search.apps.ubuntu.
>> com/api/v1/snaps/details/tensorflow-demo?channel=beta: net/http: request
>> canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while
>> awaiting headers)
>> liuxg at ubuntu:~$ sudo snap install tensorflow-demo --devmode --beta
>> error: cannot install "tensorflow-demo": Get https://search.apps.ubuntu.
>> com/api/v1/snaps/details/tensorflow-demo?channel=beta: net/http: request
>> canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while
>> awaiting headers)
>>
>> This has been usually because of CDN issues afaik. The store team should
>> able to confirm shortly.
>>

> In this case, it's an issue just with the initial connection from the
> client to search.apps.ubuntu.com, before following any CDN url to
> download the snap. I also tried to reproduce around 40mins after XiaoGuo
> and couldn't.
>
> After trying to reproduce, I checked the apache logs for
> search.apps.ubuntu.com and saw that during that time it only ever saw
> requests which resulted in 200 replies:
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/23602216/
>
> There were no relevant errors in the error log that I could see, nor does
> our monitoring show any high load at the time, so unless apache isn't
> logging timeouts, I suspect the requests weren't getting through to
> search.apps.ubuntu.com for some network-related reason, but I'm keen for
> someone else on the store team to check the networking and logs.
>
> We have seen this before intermittently, so please if you see a client
> timeout as above, add your data to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/click-package-index/+bug/1639981
>
> and we'll keep digging.
>
> Just to add, I have seen this issue intermittently a few times before.
> Next time, I'll capture logs and add to the bug. Please list out all that
> you need captured..
>

> Thanks!
> -Michael
>

>> Can you check status.snapcraft.io to see any outages around the date you
>> experienced this?
>>

>> I just did a quick test on my classic Ubuntu (AMD64) and was able to
>> download & install the snap just fine.

> [...]

XiaoGuo, Liu