Guidance on deprecating debs for snaps

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Wed Aug 17 21:56:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM Seth Arnold <seth.arnold at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:28:32PM +0000, Marco Ceppi wrote:
> > Has anyone deprecated debian packages yet in favor of snaps? My end goal
> is
> > people who've installed the debian package from the xenial archive will
> get
> > an updated debian package which no longer is the software but instead
> > either guides them to installing the snap or installs it for them.
>
> This sounds like a surprising and inconsiderate thing to do to our
> users. There's probably still time to get your transitional package into
> yakkety before feature freeze (or file for a feature freeze exception) but
> once it was shipped in an LTS we've agreed to support it for five years.
> (Where "support" is of course variable -- for main, we support it. For
> universe, the community supports it and someone will sponsor updates.)

Well, it's either that or basically anyone who installs the debian version
from the archive just deals with an out of date, never updated, version of
the software. That to me, as a maintainer of a software project, feels more
inconsiderate.

I ask because I'd like to get my users the latest bits, but there seems to
be no way for me to have a snap "conflict" with a deb package (which, I get
is the whole point). So now, if you snap install, /usr/bin/ still takes
priority over /snap/bin. This means I have make sure not only to tell
people to snap install the software, but also uninstall the previous deb
packages.

I can only imagine this leading to a lot of confusion as updates are
released in the snap but aren't reflected on users systems.

> Be sure to consider how 16.04 LTS -> 18.04 LTS upgrades will work. We also
> support LTS to LTS upgrades.

It sounds like I simply need to pull my packages from yakkety now. I don't
plan on continuing to build debian packages going forward. I just don't see
a point in it.