snapcraft 2.14 has been released

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Wed Aug 10 21:32:58 UTC 2016

Hello snapcrafters!

We are pleased to announce the release of version 2.14 of snapcraft:
https://launchpad.net/snapcraft/+milestone/2.14

The highlights in this release are:

- New plugins: `dump`, `rust` and `godeps`. Run
  `snapcraft help <dump|rust|godeps>` for more information about these.
- Support in the make plugin to use alternate relocation mechanisms
  (i.e.; `DESTDIR` alternatives).
- kernel building can now target many architectures with the same
  `snapcraft.yaml`.
- The `go` plugin has received a lot of improvements, such as properly
  handling the source entry like all other plugins and the use of
  `go-packages` has improved to prefer local sources instead of
  `go get`ting them again.

Some relevant and interesting fixes:

- Snaps of type `os` get the special treatment they need allowing
  the use of Launchpad to build fully functional core snaps.
- python plugins now properly support requirements files.
- shebangs from the python plugins are now properly set.
- support for `oneshot` daemons.
- smarter wiki parser source management.

This release has seen many contributions from outside of the snapcraft
core team, so we want to give a shout out to these folks, here's a team
thank you for:

- Blake Rouse
- Daniel Watkins
- Bogdana Vereha
- Simon Quigley
- Marius Gripsgard
- Michael Hall
- Sam Yaple
- Sebastian Bacher
- Stéphane Graber
- Liu XiaoGuo

To consume the latest snapcraft release on Xenial Xerus (16.04), we
suggest you install the snapcraft package from the Ubuntu Archives:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapcraft

To get the source for this release check it out at
https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft/releases/tag/2.14

A great place to collaborate and discuss features, bugs and ideas on
snapcraft is snapcraft at lists.snapcraft.io mailing list or directly in
the #snappy channel on irc.freenode.net.

To file bugs, please go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/+filebug.

Happy snapcrafting,
- Sergio and the team