Translation credits

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Thu May 10 10:44:57 BST 2007

Hi Jannick,

On Sunday at 11:26, Jannick Kuhr wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 18. April 2007 schrieb Danilo Šegan:
>> That's what we want to, and the solution we plan to do is to simply
>> add all contributors through Launchpad automatically to
>> translator-credits (and corresponding entries for KDE), and disallow
>> changing this string otherwise.
>
> I don't think that this is really a good idea. If I just changed one simple
> typo in for example kdelibs, it's quite a difference to the guy who
> translated thousands of strings upstream. Personally I don't want to see my
> name in the credits, if I did not translated major parts of the program. It
> has to be possible to differentiate here.

Ok, which means we need to set a threshold for what is "significant
contribution".  If that's 10 strings, 5% or whatever, it doesn't
really matter, but I think we can easily solve this problem.

Well, not that easily, since what can happen is that someone can
provide suggestions for all the strings, and someone else might just
perform a terminology change on all of them, thus getting the full
credit, and the other gal no credit at all.

Which is why I still think we should list all contributors (and this
would only show in Ubuntu language packs and exported PO files, since
the translations are not going upstream directly).

What does everybody else think?

Cheers,
Danilo