request to reduce splintering of language translations

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Fri Mar 30 10:10:39 BST 2007

Valient Gough escribió:

> I've received a request to reduce translation file splintering in my
> package, which is translated online via Rosetta.  The request was routed
> to me via the debian package maintainer, so I in turn forward it to you
> for your consideration.

Ok,

> From my own view, it appears that perhaps translators are either
> accidentally or intentionally misusing Rosetta.  For example, my project
> now has en_GB 'translations' of the original english text, which is
> quite useless and which I've refused to include in my releases so far.

I think this come from an old bug we had that allowed quite easily to
create such languages quite easily. We fixed it long time ago, but we
didn't remove any of those files unless someone asks us to do it. I will
take this as a request to do it for encfs.

About en_GB, is another thing, there are some differences in English
that some people prefer to fix like color vs. colour. If encfs is
already using en_GB as the original English strings, then is clear that
you should reject such translations.

So what I'm going to do, once you confirm it, is to:

- - Merge fr_FR into fr.
- - Merge de_AT, de_DE, de_CH into de.
- - Merge pt_PT into pt.
- - Merge es_PE, es_ES into es

At the same time, please, be sure that you also remove those merge .po
files from your source tree so a new upload from you into Rosetta
doesn't create them again.

Is that ok?

Cheers.

> regards,
> Valient
>

> * Christian Perrier [Tue, Nov 01 2005, 03:25:39PM]:
>> Package: encfs
>> Version: N/A
>> Severity: normal
>>
>> This package includes a fr_FR.po file which contains the French
> translation
>> of the program strings.
>>
>> Using a country part in a translation file is a discouraged practice
>> except in very few cases (such as pt_BR).
>>
>> Using a fr_FR.po file instead of a fr.po file prevents users of fr_CA,
>> fr_BE, fr_LU, fr_CH and all other existing and future locales for
>> French to benefit from the French translation of the program.
>>
>> The language does not vary among countries and, again, this is not the
>> general practice for programs localization.
>>
>> Please forward this to the upstream author along with this explanation.
>>
>> You can also mention that the bug probably occurs for other
>> translations. In general PO files should only be named after the
>> ISO_639 code of the given language and should not use a country part
>> with a ISO-3166 code. The only accepted exceptions to this are:
>>
>> -pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese and pt alone for "standard Portuguese"
>> -zh_CN for "Simplified Chinese" use in mainland China and Singapore
>> -zh_TW for "Traditional Chinese" used in Taiwan
>>
>> Lat both are different ways of writing Chinese, not to be confused
>> with Mandarin/Cantonese which are different ways of *speaking*
>> Chinese....both being written the same way.

- --
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu => http://www.ubuntu.com
mailto:carlos.perello at canonical.com