new language team

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Jan 18 10:25:03 GMT 2007

Erdal Ronahi escribió:
> Hi,

Hi

> On 1/17/07, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos.perello at canonical.com> wrote:
>> ku_sorani is not a valid language code, that kind of language codes are
>>  LANG_COUNTRY.
>
>> > otherwise ckb is the alternate.
>
>> Well, that's the only reasonable option we have ;-)
>
> Well, the Kurdish/Sorani team is free to choose, but I really suggest
> ku_IQ. It is Kurdish after all, even if the subcode according to ISO
> 639-3 is ckb.

As you already said, Sorani is not specific to a country, so we
shouldn't use a lang code that it's specific to a country...

>> Btw, you will need to write the locale information for 'ckb' or the
>> translations will not work at all (and get it deployed in Feisty before
>> the final freeze).
>
> Right, Aras, please do that.
>
>> For 'ckb' I guess the plural form information is the same as 'ku',
>> isn't it?
>
> I'll double-check that, for there are grammar differences. But I think
> yes, it's the same.

Ok, I will wait for confirmation.

>> Once you confirm that I will request the addition of that language into
>> launchpad so you can start translating Ubuntu.
>>
>> Btw, how should that language be called? 'Sorani'?
>
> Is it possible to choose here something like "Kurdish (Sorani)" or
> even "Kurdish (Sorani, Arabic)"? Because this appears at installations
> and so on it is important that it will be found (therefore "Kurdish")
> and that is differentiated well from Kurmanci and Sorani/Latin.

What I see from ISO-639-3 is that ckb is named: 'Central Kurdish' We can
either name it that way or another better name you decide.

May I suggest that you request an update to ISO-639-3 if 'Central
Kurdish' is not the right name?

Cheers.

> Regards,
> Erdal