Status update about Rosetta reverting translation changes

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Sat Oct 28 15:18:08 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

The Rosetta development team have been looking into the problem with
reverting translations, reported as bug #68014, and we think that the
problem comes from how Rosetta handles offline translations. This is a
feature that allows someone to download a PO file, work on it on their
own machine, and then upload it to Rosetta afterwards. If the person
doing the upload is allowed to approve translations, they may both
upload and approve every translation in the file at once. But, this runs
the risk of overwriting approved translations that have been worked on
since the PO file was downloaded.

We think this is likely to be the cause of the problem, but right now we
can't be sure. So, we have a three stage plan to fix this particular
problem, and also allow us to investigate the issue further:

     1. Temporarily stop automatically approved uploads to prevent
        further problems while we fix the issue.

     2. Add code to Rosetta to record when a translation is approved and
        who approved it, so we can investigate the problem better.

     3. Add code to Rosetta to put a timestamp in exported PO files, so
        we can let a translator upload and approve translations in the
        PO file without overwriting the work other translators did while
        the PO file was outside of Rosetta.

After all this is ready, we will allow automatically approved uploads
again.

We are working on this problem as our highest priority, and we hope to
have the new code in place over the coming days.

You can ask the Rosetta team to do an upload and mass-approval for you
while this feature is unavailable. If you want this, open a support
ticket at https://launchpad.net/products/rosetta/+tickets, and explain
what you want to do.

Thank you for your patience.

--