Exciting things for translated documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat May 6 15:03:07 BST 2006

Hi all,

This is a message to encourage you to get translation of the
documentation up to 100%!!

For the first time you can now see what the result of doing so will be:
I've added build scripts to the Documentation team repository to build
localised versions of our help website. This means you get a translated
homepage for the website, and translated pdf files.

See the website here:

http://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/index.cc.html

(replace cc with your country code, so for example, if you are Korean:
http://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/index.ko.html

Please test the website and tell me if things are not working (there are
a lot of languages so there are bound to be some problems). Write to me
PRIVATELY with any problems (no need to fill up these mailing lists).

One major known issue: the pdfs are not working with Asian fonts at the
moment, I'll look into it and see if I can fix that.

Another very exciting bit of news is that the Documentation team is
going to make available printed copies of the guides at our Lulu store:
http://www.lulu.com/ubuntu-doc (nothing there yet). This means that
people can buy a printed and bound version of the book, and will pay
only the price needed to print and post the book. We'll add any complete
translations to this store, so this is an extra incentive to finish the
translations. We've added a string to each guide to point at this store,
so this will need to be translated too.

Happy translating!

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com