What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Enrique Matías Sánchez (Quique) cronopios at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 16:31:12 BST 2006

2006/8/17, Og Maciel:

> So I propose a new direction for this thread.  Instead of trying to
> dig out more issues and problems with the current situation, how about
> we set out to come up with a set of ways we could make it work for
> everyone?

I pretty much agree with Og's exposition. The problems are real, and I
guess the Canonical pals acknowledge them, so instead of keep pointing
at them, let's try to find solutions.

> Ideas?

IMNSHO, the root of the problems is twofold:
a) translations made in Rosetta have preference over translations from upstream
b) the work made in Rosetta don't get up the river

Why would a Rosetta translator modify a string already translated upstream?
The *only* reasons should be fixing a typo or an incorrect translation.

Unfortunately, those fixes remain in Ubuntu and don't hit upstream.
Even worse: I've seen how some perfect Spanish translations from KDE
were spoiled in Rosetta.

A solution could be:
a) use the strings translated upstream and lock them
b) give the upstream translator privileges in Rosetta to unlock the
strings in the files he translates
c) when a rosetta translator has a *good* reason to modify a string
already translated upstream, instead of modifying the po file, Rosetta
should e-mail the upstream translator reporting him the issue and the
new proposed translation
d) the upstream translator could then use his unlocking privileges to
approve (or reject) the proposal from the Rosetta translator, and
modify that string both in Rosetta and upstream
e) in the event of an upstream translator not taking action, the
Rosetta coordinator for that language would decide whether to approve
or reject the proposed modification.

This way:
- Ubuntu would promptly get any fixes the Rosetta translators propose.
- Upstream could use the .po files generated in Rosetta to add the
work done here over untranslated strings.
- No duplication of work and frustration feeling would happen.

Opinions? Better ideas?

--
Do we have to destroy our freedom in order to save it?
Data retention is no solution.