What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Thu Aug 17 10:32:27 BST 2006

Hi Christian,

Yesterday at 21:22, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> Well, I would like to point out that it is possible for upstream
> translators to benefit from Rosetta translations directly -- they can
> download translations and merge them manually into their current working
> trees. The majority of the strings will remain unchanged between
> versions, so most of the new translations will be useful to you, and you
> can review them manually after merging them, ensuring you only commit
> translations that are acceptable to you.

The problem is that PO files in Rosetta give preference to
translations done in Rosetta: for upstream, we'd want it vice versa
(myself, being both "upstream" and "Rosetta" involved).

It would be simple to make use of translations from Rosetta if we
provided either of:
- a PO file containing only strings changed/newly translated in
  Rosetta (to be used by upstream as a compendium in msgmerge)
- a PO file containing upstream translation with only newly
  translated strings added from Rosetta

The reason is simple: if I, as upstream, am to merge translations from
other source, I'd want to give preference to what I already have, and
import only the new stuff (and maybe even mark them all as fuzzy along
the way).

With any of above two mechanisms, it would actually be simple to do,
and we've got all the infrastructure in place to make this happen
(eg. lets add "Changes-only PO export" :).