What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Thu Aug 17 10:26:53 BST 2006

Hi Christian,

Yesterday at 21:18, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

>> Well, from my experience (in Polish translations) the results are not
>> very good.
>
> Thanks for the comment. Can you give me a better rationale as to why you
> found the results not to be good? I'd like to hear about your top 3
> issues so we can actually go ahead and address them.

As far as I can tell, we've got the same situation with Serbian, and
the problem is in the bad organisation of the team: all applicants are
accepted into team, so anybody can alter translations. For example,
just five strings (I looked at) which are different in Ubuntu
gnome-panel from upstream contain around 10 or so typos.  This is easy
to fix (except for finding them: https://launchpad.net/bugs/44), but
it shouldn't have happened in the first place (i.e. how would such a
lazy translator be allowed to modify such highly visible strings such
as those in logout dialog?).

This is not Rosetta's failure, except maybe for not communicating well
how one should lead a team.  That's one thing we need to fix.

Also, translators will want to get recognized as being part of a team
even if they are not allowed to submit translations directly, so
there's another issue to solve.

Cheers,
Danilo