What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

tegegne tefera tefera.tegegne at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 22:43:02 BST 2006

I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a system to rate
registered translators so that to differentiate between seasoned
translators who not only can submit their own translations but have
the privilege to review and approve and the novice translators. say
"novice translator", "translator", "reviewer", "super translator
(commitor)":-). This would solve many of the issues raised here and
elsewhere on organizing a translation work. Points can be given from
the higher rated to the lower rated translator or the system gives
points on the number of translations approved without change...etc.

Today most translation work is static revolving around single
individuals. This method undoubtedly has an advantage of insuring
quality in a very restrictive manner. But it also shuts out potential
contributors on subjective grounds, such as personality clash. this
might not be big problem for an already supported languages. But
unsupported languages and languages yet to start will use as much
volunteers and dynamism in the system as they can get.
The meritocracy practised elsewhere in free software development
should also be applied to translation work too.