What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Og Maciel og.maciel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 20:55:22 BST 2006

On 8/16/06, Christian Robottom Reis <kiko at async.com.br> wrote:
> I'd also like to point out that Rosetta does offer some structure: any
> upstream can define how open it is, and in the most structured mode
> unexperienced translators can not add official translations, but only
> suggestions. Ubuntu itself I believe operates in this manner, with the
> Ubuntu translation teams approving suggestions made by uncertified
> users.

That is very true indeed.  For instance, if one were to check the
status for the Brazilian translation, one would see that over 400
people have contributed to the effort but these were all, in one form
or another, a suggestion that had to be manually approved (or not) by
an official member.  We make a point to "train our members to death"
on how translations should be performed and any standards we follow.
So in other words, and as Christian pointed out, even though Rosetta
will allow anyone to quickly collaborate with the translations, they
are but suggestions that need to be approved by the teams members.

> Carlos is currently working on a review mechanism which will allow
> the translation team members to quickly go over large quantities of
> suggestions, editing and merging them in a single step. I believe this
> could easily be made to work for upstreams as well, if people requested
> it.

Now, THAT is GREAT news!  :)  Any more information you can share at
the moment?  ;)

Cheers,
--
Og B. Maciel

(Leader) Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators

ogmaciel at ubuntu.com
ogmaciel at ubuntubrasil.org
og.maciel at gmail.com

GPG Keys: D5CFC202