What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Wed Aug 16 20:39:46 BST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:30:38AM -0400, Og Maciel wrote:
> > As many has said before: Rosetta lacks quality control and other control
> > mechanisms. I do not like the idea of having unexperienced translators
> > mocking around with my/others (quality controlled) translations and then
[...]
> Well, you made your point very clear, and believe me when I say that I
> share it as well.  However, you have to give us, Rosetta translator
> and teams a bit more of credit, for we too take a lot of pride in what

I'd also like to point out that Rosetta does offer some structure: any
upstream can define how open it is, and in the most structured mode
unexperienced translators can not add official translations, but only
suggestions. Ubuntu itself I believe operates in this manner, with the
Ubuntu translation teams approving suggestions made by uncertified
users.

This may address some concerns that any random user can come in and
spoil the hard work of more veteran translators.

Carlos is currently working on a review mechanism which will allow
the translation team members to quickly go over large quantities of
suggestions, editing and merging them in a single step. I believe this
could easily be made to work for upstreams as well, if people requested
it.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125