Duplicated work in Rosetta/Debian -- how to avoid

Tim Morley t_morley at argonet.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 10:17:02 BST 2006

Hi all.

I've got what I think is a very elementary question about using
Rosetta, and I'd be grateful for an answer in simple words of one
syllable, please!

A colleague has translated some of the Debian installer, and his work
has been picked up and added to Rosetta. Some other people have added
to and corrected his work within Rosetta, but he wasn't aware of it,
and he's since carried on translating at home, duplicating some of
the work done in Rosetta, and not benefiting from the corrections in
Rosetta.

Question 1: What's the best way to merge the two existing versions
(from Rosetta, and from his work done privately)?

Question 2: More importantly, what's the best way to avoid this in
the future?

NB The answers are probably going to include the words "upstream" and/
or "downstream", and I'd be grateful for a 30-second Dummies Guide To
What Upstream & Downstream Mean in the context of Rosetta/Launchpad.

Thanks in advance.

Tim