Ensuring Quality in Ubuntu Translations

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Apr 11 04:26:52 BST 2006

On 11/04/2006, at 3:44 AM, Matthew East wrote:

> So how can Ubuntu translation teams do similar quality assurance? This
> is where teams should share their experiences, in my view.

We don't yet have an Ubuntu team, but these issues have come up
elsewhere.

They're particularly difficult for us, because public discussion of
faults is inappropriate, public mistakes of any kind fatal to
reputation and thus participation.

How do we handle this? Largely by controlling upload. If Rosetta
doesn't allow that, we will have great difficulty.

1. The aspiring translator asks to join the group.

2. S/he is asked to read the Howtos, in both languages. Common
difficulties (e.g. KDE non-conformance with gettext norms) are
discussed. (General discussions of difficulties go to our maiing
list, any individual mistakes are discussed privately.)

3. The new translator is assigned a small file.

4. S/he completes it and submits it to the team-leader or other
assigned supervisor.

5. The team-leader reviews the file, then writes privately to the new
translator, discussing any areas which are not yet up to standard. If
the file has few errors, the team-leader edits its and uploads it. If
the file has many errors, it is returned to the new translator for re-
editing.

The assign-translate-review process continues until the translator
demonstrates sufficient and consistent quality to be trusted with
solo translation.

No file is uploaded unless it is up to standard. This is managed by
the team-leader and other experienced translators. The project is
relying on this QA, so if we can't perform it, we shouldn't be
translating.

In a situation where an online tool like Rosetta or Pootle is
involved, again the team-leader and other experienced translators
need to take the responsibility for approving data. There needs to be
an effective ratio between experienced and less-experienced
translators, so QA can be performed. I have found this early time,
which you spend with the new translator, is essential, and avoids
many problems later on.

Then again, I'm a lot older than most others, which gives me
responsibility in my culture, and makes it appropriate for me to
teach and generally mentor others. I don't know how well that works
for other cultures.

The upload control is crucial, otherwise, how do you ensure data of
high quality is sent upstream? We just had an awkward situation,
where an older translator who still needs supervision (i.e. is
producing translations of low quality) asked for SVN write access to
our repository. We explained that this is not appropriate. Anyone can
_get_ files (anonymous SVN or websvn) but only the experienced
translators assigned to QA can upload them.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)