Registering PySubMind

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Mon Sep 19 06:25:02 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 19:24 +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> Hi rangzen,
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 02:01:39PM +0200, rangzen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > is there a web page where it's explain how prepare my application to
> > use rosetta ?
> > Do you need a special web link to obtains the po ?
> >
> > Something like that for the en po ?
> > http://cvs.gna.org/cvsweb/pysubmind/PySubMind/i18n/en/messages.po?rev=1.13;content-type=text%2Fplain;cvsroot=pysubmind
>
> A few comments,
>
> Your repository is lacking a pot file, which makes it non-trivial to
> import. I have generated one now, though.
>
> You ship an en.po with translations of what appear to be some internal
> tags.
>
> msgid "error_note_id_none"
> msgstr "No id"
>
> Why don't you have "No id" directly in the translatable code? It would
> make it a lot easier to translate.
>
> If I import the pot file as is, Rosetta translators are not going to
> know what to do with a string like "menu_tags_use" if they don't have an
> additional look to your en.po.
>
> If you change your app to do something like this, I think Rosetta will
> be useful. If not, you're going to get a ton of horrible translations
> I'm afraid.

Another option is that you add the English translation as a commment (#.
Foo) translators will see it. The problem with this solution is that if
you update the English translation, the other translators will not see
that it was updated and could be out of sync easily. If you are able to
take Jordi's approach, please do it, if it's not possible, another "less
bad" solution is what I just told you.

Cheers.