Jordi Mallach jordi at canonical.com
Tue Nov 8 12:24:57 CST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:03:53PM +0100, Eric Casteleijn wrote:
> I find the navigation mildly confusing at times. For instance when I
> go to the translations page of a certain project, and then into a
> specific language, the translations tab no longer takes me back to the
> overview of all the languages, as I would expect it to. There are a
> few other gripes there too. Basically there are too many ways (for me)
> to get to a page for a certain task.

For this specific example, the current way of going back to the main
page is to use the "Switch Languages" link in the box at the right side.
Yes, we don't expect many people to figure this out too easily, and will
come up with something else soon.

> For instance, what is the difference between:
>
> project/+translations
> project/+series/main/+pots/project
>
> (Or is it just the top view vs. a specific branch?)

Yes. +translations gives you an ovrview of all the templates registered
for that project. The second url gives you the overview for a specific
template in a specific branch f a project.

> The interface reminds me of out of the box Plone in this way, which I
> also find highly confusing, but since many people seem to be entirely
> happy using that, this may be just me.

There has been talk about the whole Launchpad user interface throughout
the Montréal conference, and many people have been throwing ideas about
how to globally fix the navigation issues such as this one. There should
be visible changes soon enough.

> 2. Project management
>
> I am able to add a new project, which is great, but I am then not
> automatically its project manager. I understand where this could be a
> security measure, but I also see no way to request that I be made its
> manager. Also I'm not sure how to add new languages to my project.
> People seem to be able to do it though, since I'm sure there are 2
> languages to my project which I didn't add (which I think is great,
> don't get me wrong, it's just that I want to be able to do it too. Or
> is it actually as simple as uploading a new .po file?)

I've been looking and I don't see how you're getting your product not
owned by you when you create it. Do you mean a product or a project?
Which project did you create that has wrong permissions? We need more
info on this because we see no bug here.

> 3. Permissions
>
> (Minor nitpick) I can set the Translations to Open, Structured or
> Closed, but the explanatory text mentions a Reviewed permissions, and
> not Structured. I assume they are the same. ;)

The sabdfl happily took this one. :)

> 4. Translation Groups
>
> I have no idea if it possible to create new groups, but if it is, I
> have not been able to find where. I would like to delegate
> responsibility for each language to a native speaker if possible, and
> I think having a group for my project would let me do this (i.e. have
> a group of all known and trusted translators, and allow them to review
> and accept suggestions from the world at large.)

Group creaton is something only admins can do. This is to avoid every
single product in Launchpad creating their own tiny translation group.
We actively promote that prducts with no previously-established
tranlsation groups (such as Plone, GNOME, KDE...) use the Ubuntu
translators group, as it's the biggest and most active in Rosetta. We
laso recommend people to set their permissions to Structured, which
prevents vandalism for those languages which have a language team
already created. Those languages that don't yet have a designated
translator are free to be translated by anyone, until someone steps up
as the language coordinator.

Ugh, sorry about all those typos. This keyboard is a bit whacky.

> Anyway, as you can see these things are pretty minor stuff, so I guess
> I'm also trying to say: great job, launchpad devs!

Thanks, it keeps getting better! Enjoy your stay at the launchpad. :)
jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/