wordpress translations - problems/bugs in rosetta interface and probably in Malone/Launchpad itself

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Tue May 17 05:09:04 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 23:22 +0200, Paolo Brocco wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi

> I'm writing here as it seems the only way to communicate and to ask for
> some assistance... I'm really  frustrated as whatever I want to do,
> working with Rosetta, trying to report bugs... DOES NOT WORK... ok
> forget about my frustration, I'd like to do something so that's why i
> want to report what's happening to me... and I really hope that some
> good angel will let me know something, or even better, fix the
> bugs/problems that are affecting my nerves ;)

You took the best approach, if the bug tracking system is not working,
this mailing list is a good fall back.

It's not normal that you get that amount of system errors, will notify
the malone team so they take a look at those errors.

In the future, if you get that amount of errors, could you join the
#launchpad channel at irc.freenode.org? so you can get some "real time"
assistance from the developers?

> ---
>
> 1) From this URL:
> https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta/products/wordpress/wordpress-1.5/+translate?languages=it_IT
> If i select "show untranslated items" and i click "change" i get: "A
> system error occurred."
>
> This is a bug of ROSETTA. Thanks for reporting/correcting this, I'd like
> to be able to see what has not be translated instead of browsing 900
> entries manually...

Yes, it was a Rosetta bug and it should be fixed since last week.

Also, it's better if you translate directly for 'it' instead of 'it_IT'
unless there are too many differences between each other.

> ---
>
> 2) Wordpress Translations in Rosetta. bug 214
>
> This bug seems quite old. Yesterday I tried to generate a .mo file...
> and I also got this
>
> error message: "A system error occurred."
>
> The bug has been accepted, looking forward to see it corrected as I'd
> like to test the translations I added to wordpress...

Until that bug is fixed, you can do it directly. Download the .po file
and create the .mo file yourself with something like:

msgfmt it.po -o it.mo

That command comes from gettext.

> ---
>
> 3) I'm trying to report bugs, but the Malone/Launchpad interface is
> buggy, I always get "A system error occurred."
> I tried to add a comment to ther bug 214, and I got this error message:
>
> "An error occured.
> There are 1 input errors."

Can you try again?

I was able to add a comment without problems...

Please, confirm me if it's still failing for you.

> ---
>
> 4) So maybe bugs 1) and 2) are the result of the system itself, what is
> the heart, what is the responsible of all the "A System error occured",
> is it Launchpad, or is it Malone?

Well, the problem there is that all problems in our system are "System
errors" so those are because different problems that are fixed as soon
as possible but you always get the same message. We are working to
improve that error feedback to improve also the debug of those errors.

So, if you get a system error in different URLs that does not means that
is the same error.

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Bye.

--