Just added Gajim in launchpad

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Jul 7 11:22:09 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 15:52 +0300, Nikos Kouremenos wrote:
> On 7/7/05, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos.perello at canonical.com> wrote:
>

> > > Yesterday I did some work on the branches and releases of the Gajim (gajim.org )
> > > module on launchpad. About Rosseta says I should inform you guys so
> > > you can get the pot etc..
> >
> > Ok, You should add a release to that product so we can attach the .pot
> > file. You can do it from:
> >
> > https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/products/gajim/+series/head/+addrelease
> Yes I was there, but the UI is a bit confusing [or /me needs vacation]
> I mean it's HEAD and you ask tarball link so it's the target release
> (svn targets to 0.8) or the 0.7.1 which has is not head [or /me needs
> great vacation]

Well, I picked head because it's the only series that exists for your
product, you can create any series you want (like 0.7)

The idea is to choose a release that those translations are targeted to.

Anyway, next week we will change it so the translations are associated
with development branches (series) instead of concrete releases as they
will change over time inside the same branch independently of the number
of releases you do.

That means that, usually, you would have two pots to translate, the one
for the stable branch and the one for the development one.

> > > I understand you update the pot from once in a while automatically?
> >
> > Not really. We do it only with Ubuntu translations because we have some
> > control on how to get the .pot and .po files automatically, with
> > products it's a bit difficult although we are preparing a way to do that
> > with official GNOME translations and in the future it will be expanded
> > to other products. In the mean time, you should upload the updates (once
> > the initial upload is done by us).
> Okay, I hope that upload is easy to find how to do it :)

It is, when you look at the translation summary for a .pot file, you
will have a link to 'Upload a file' inside the 'Actions' menu on the
right.

> > I need a link to the .pot file + any current .po file you already have
> > for that application.
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/gajim.pot?rev=2282&format=raw
>
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/bg/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/de/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/el/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/es/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/pl/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/pt/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw
> http://trac.gajim.org/file/trunk/po/ru/LC_MESSAGES/gajim.po?rev=2282&format=raw

As soon as you have the release created, I will attach them.

> > > A 'how rosseta translation stuff works' is needed :)
> >
> > We have a start at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RosettaFAQ
> Yes I've read that. Still in my mind I can't distinguish release
> frontend [if any] from Rossetta.
> I mean if Rossetta [IIUC] is pot/po -centric then you should ask that
> and yes okay release but translation-only stuff

Excuse me  but I was not able to understand what do you mean here, could
you elaborate it a bit more?, thanks.

> so as I have it in my mind [but you know better] you should ask for
> the files via web UI and keep archives of pot and po for everyrelease.
> and not as you do it now. But then again I must be missing a lot of
> stuff :)

Why should we store .pot and .po files for every release? as soon as you
do that release, people will have those .po and .pot files from your
released tarball, right?

About asking the files via web UI, yes, it's a good idea, although the
amount of requests we get is low so it takes much more time to implement
it than doing the initial upload by hand as we do it atm (because the
initial upload implies some validations from our side), after the
initial upload, tge updates to .pot and .po files are handled directly
using the web UI.

Cheers,

--
Carlos Perelló Marín