Internalisation and Rosetta "Lost In Translation"

Peter Damoc pdamoc at
Sat Jan 22 02:08:49 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:30:31 +0000, Dafydd Harries <daf at> wrote:

> Other suggestions of how we can minimise this sort of problem is
> welcome.

start a very close collaboration with Pootle, it is implemented in python and my guess is that you use python for Rosetta too...
Basically you'll have projects that will either wave the RMS/GNU flag and accept nothing but "uncontaminated" free stuff OR projects that will care only about translations.
If a collaboration between Pootle and Rosetta is accomplished you can refer the first to Pootle and have the second use Rosetta.

The most important part, at least in my view, is to get people to use either one of these translation systems, inter project communication can be created later and eventually, if Rosetta is released as Open Source the projects can be merged.

One more idea... have some interface guru cook up something really accessible and implement that.... maybe some of the interface could be made common so that future merge could come with less pain.

More important than interface could be some kind of translation protocol. In my view this could eliminate most of the problems because if there is an XML-RPC server on both Pootle and Rosetta and if those servers "speak" the same language then translators could use some kind of stand-alone app, maybe KBabel or POedit, to connect to the server of choice and do the translations.

Peter Damoc
jack of all trades, master of none