free as in beer (was Re: Clean Sheet?)

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Feb 2 00:32:45 CST 2005

> So, the clause may say: "In addition, the translator grants to *the
> proprietary of the software being translated*
> the right to publish the translation and use the translation in *the
> software being translated*
> under all the licenses of this software."
> or something like that. Probably this is not a good formula (I'm not a
> native english speaker nor a lawyer), but you get the idea.

This is not a good formula :-)

A big goal of Rosetta is to provide a translation memory that spans
projects. So, for example, if someone has translated "Help -> About"
into Bulgarian for one app, we want to be able to recommend that
translation for another app too. But one app might be under the GPL,
another might be under BSD. Both licences are Free, but they are
incompatible. Hence the clause. Again, giving Canonical the right to
make the translation available under other licences doesn't diminish the
value of your contribution to free software in any way, in fact it
enhances the ability of that translation to be useful across the free
software spectrum.