Translation setup for plone

Hanno Schlichting schlichting at bakb.net
Tue Aug 30 18:56:48 CDT 2005

Jordi Mallach wrote:
> Hi Felipe,
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:23:09AM +0200, Felipe Gil Castiñeira wrote:
>
>>Can you setup "plone" (Plone, Archetypes, ATContentTypes and
>>ATReferenceBrowserWidget) for translation through Rosetta?  ".po" and
>>".pot" files are in
>>http://svn.plone.org/collective/PloneTranslations/trunk/i18n/
>
> Plone is nearly setup, but a bug that apparently only plone is able to
> trigger is delaying the upload of the plone po files. The rest of the
> translation domains are ready to go though. I hope we can resolve this
> problem soon.
>
> Jordi

Hi all.

I read this message with a bit of surprise as we (the i18n maintainers
of Plone) are currently discussing if Rosetta is fitting our needs, but
havn't come to a conclusion yet. Don't get me wrong here, I love Rosetta
and it's definitly the way to go, but am still a bit unsure of the best
way of utilizing it and what have to be changed in our current
infrastructure to get it optimal ;)

But as it is set up now, I would kindly ask for maintainer privileges
for the project (my launchpad username is hannosch) as I'm doing lots of
the i18n management of Plone right now.

Having read only some of the documentation this far, I think of setting
up a translators group for the management part of the project (as we are
  some more people sharing the workload of i18n maintenance) which -
permissions granted - I would be able to do myself, right?

Secondly I would like to know a bit more about how the pot/po-files are
stored within Rosetta. As far as I understand it stores the files
somewhere on its own storage, leading to the question how conflicts are
meant to be dealt with, if someone is updating a po file on SVN and at
the same time someone else is updating it through Rosetta? My current
understanding is that the best way would be to disallow direct svn
checkins and only allow updating through Rosetta?

Thirdly I would like to note that Plone the product consists of various
smaller modules whose pot/po files were combined in one translation
module (PloneTranslations) for ease of management and access by the
translators. This wouldn't be necessary anymore with Rosetta so these
would probably in the next Plone release be reintegrated into their own
modules. As we are also adding some more modules these very days to be
part of Plone core, I assume setting these up as 'packages' in Rosetta
would be the right way to go?

I have some more questions, but will try to read as much docs as I can
find first.

So long and thanks for all of Rosetta ;)

Hanno

P.S. What is this bug you are talking about? Something wrong on our side?