Rosetta doesn’t yet know how plural forms work for Georgian.

Alexander Didebulidze alexander.didebulidze at stusta.mhn.de
Sun Aug 21 11:23:32 CDT 2005

Hallo,

I would like to ask Carlos to add Georgian plural forms to Rosetta...

here is a log of a conversation about this on IRC:

<sabdfl> sd-tux: do you know what a georgian pluralform expression looks
like?
<sd-tux> sabdfl: I think i know... I'm georgian and other members too :)
<sabdfl> yes, but in PO file translation, there's a bit of magic that
describes how plural forms work in that language
<sabdfl> usually it's pretty simple - any message that has a variable
number of "things" has two forms - one singular, one plural
<sabdfl> but some languages are a lot more complicated
<sabdfl> welsh, for example, has many,many plural forms
<sabdfl> depending on whether there are 0, 1, 2, 3, 7 or more, 10 or
more... etc
<sabdfl> for example, the message "there are %s cars on the road"
<sabdfl> how many different sentences would you need to translate that,
depending on the number of s?
<sabdfl> in georgian?
<sabdfl> in english, it's two
<sabdfl> "there are X cars on the road"
<sabdfl> "there is X car on the road"
<sd-tux> for example we have no articles, no capital letters, no
masculine or feminile articles.
<sd-tux> but we have 7 cases.
<sabdfl> sounds good
<sabdfl> cases are not usually a problem
<sabdfl> is it slavic? similar to russian?
<sd-tux> so
<sd-tux> georgian is not indoeropian language
<sd-tux> georgian is a Kartvelic Caucasian Language.
<sd-tux> a Language is with proper alphabet and with a propher language.
<sd-tux> in this team we understand quite good english, and good german
italian and russian languages.
<sd-tux> for example with plural nouns;
<sd-tux> "there are X cars on the road" = "kuchashi X mankana-a" (I'm
using latin letters :D) and...
<sd-tux> "there is X car on the road" = "kuchashi X mankana-a".
<sd-tux> "sufix" is changed.
<sd-tux> so plurals in georgian are:
<sd-tux> 1 car = 1 mankan-a
<sd-tux> 2 cars = 2 mankan-a
<sd-tux> many cars = bevri mankan-a
<sd-tux> so noun mankana is not changed.
<sd-tux> but without "many" a noun "mankan-a" will change into
"mankan-ebi".
<sd-tux> so what can do?
<sabdfl> ok, this looks fairly standard
<sabdfl> email this conversation to the rosetta-users list and ask
carlos to add Georgian

Thank you in advance,
Alexander