Wrong denomination in the "Languages in Spain" box using Gallegan instead of Galician

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Tue Apr 12 07:05:04 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 19:39 +0100, Rafael Villar Burke wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi

> Rosetta is a really interesting project and I've been following it quite
> closely from the beginning!.

Thanks!

> There's a really annoying mistake in the "Languages in Spain" box on the
> Rosetta main page. It uses Gallegan instead of Galician. This
> denomination is clearly wrong (it is a translation into english of a
> translation into spanish of the language denomination).

Well, Gallegan is also valid and it's what the iso standard says so it's
not an error, but we changed it already some weeks ago to Galician as
seems people understand it better.

> For some extrange reason something similar happened in debian-installer
> and had a response from the galician translation team requesting for a
> change: http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/04/msg02353.html
> Furthermore, the main language academy, and official reference for the
> galician language, uses galician as the "official" translation as you
> can check in http://www.usc.es/~ilgas/galician.html

As I said, it's because the iso standard that has the list of languages.
Debian installer and Rosetta use the same source.

> So, please, could you change this?. I've sent a similar request some
> time ago, but with no result as it wasn't clear to whom should I address to.
>
> Thanks in advance and regards,

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín