Rosetta

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Sat Oct 2 17:12:30 CDT 2004

Dwayne Bailey wrote:

>- The portal lowers the barrier to entry which I think is good but how
>low should be make the barrier?  You have to be able to code to
>contribute to the Linux kernel.  Otherwise you're shouted our of the
>arena.  Maybe we shouldn't be so harsh but still how do we ensure that
>people who contribute can actually translate?  A source project will not
>be able to evaluate the quality of supplied translation.  I know the
>Welsh team had a two stage process - but would like to hear other ideas.

One thing I'd like to see is an automated assessment of the difficulty
of translations. A translation gets "difficulty points" for each of the
following:

  - it is a plural
  - there are complicated plural forms in that language
  - maybe a language-modifier, some languages are harder than others
  - the string includes embedded substitution codes that are programming
language artifacts

... we could explicitly present new users with "easier" strings, and
have a way to test and promote them to a more masterful state where they
could see any translation.

Mark