Add onos controller charm.

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 6 12:53:05 UTC 2016

Hi York

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 at 13:38 Zhangyuanyou (York, R&D) <
zhangyuanyou at huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>     Thanks for your help.
>     Now I had made some change in neutron-gateway, please review it:
>          https://review.openstack.org/#/c/325840/

Thanks - I saw this; but lets review the overall design of the integration
before we start landing changes :-).

>    And I also need another 3 charms to be created for ONOS integration:
>            onos-controller
>            neutron-api-onos
>            openvswitch-onos

OK - so the design looks similar to the OpenDayLight integration AFAICT:

  neutron-api-onos -> subordinate to neutron-api
  openvswitch-onos -> subordinate to neutron-gateway and nova-compute charms

with the onos-controller charm providing the core SDN function.

I'd like to confirm that the openvswitch-onos charm is actually required -
how does OVS integrate with ONOS? If it simply sets the manager to the ONOS
controller (i.e. ONOS provides an ovsdb type interface that OVS integrates
with) then we might be able to multi-purpose the existing openvswitch-odl
charm.

I'd really like the two subordinate charms to leverage the new openstack
layers that we have in development for these roles - David/Liam - what's
the current state of this work? I think that openvswitch-odl was being
re-written in this style which might help bootstrap this work.

>    So how can I create these projects?

I would suggest that while you are iterating the initial charm version, you
don't want to have these charms under git/gerrit, so I'd start with git
repositories under your own account on github.com for each of the three new
charms; we can then migration them to the /openstack once they have enough
content and the pace of initial development has slowed a little.